Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Monday, November 19, 2007

That About Covers It


I think between the links and the recipe posts, I've pretty much covered my Thanksgiving dinner menu. The only thing left is corn and bread.

Well, you can make buttered corn. I buy frozen, steam it, drain it, butter it, season it with salt and pepper, and serve it with crisp bacon sprinkles. That's about it.

And then the bread. I like to have a basket of a couple different kinds. Most likely French bread, or maybe this yummy Hearth Bread. I like that I can make the bread early and be done with it. I'll likely even make the dough the night before, form it into loaves, refrigerate it and bake it Thanksgiving morning. It will be nice and fresh. But a few days ahead, I can make this Carrot Bread. I've never tried this recipe before, but it got good reviews and I can't imagine going too wrong with Carrot Bread. A yeast bread and a quick bread make for two very different, and yummy choices.

Here's a good standard French Bread, if you need one. I've had it for so long, I have no idea where it came from.

Sesame French Bread

2 pkg yeast
2½ cups warm water
2 T. sugar
2 T. vegetable oil
2 t. salt
6 to 6½ cups flour
1 egg white
1 T. water
2 T. sesame seeds

Combine water, yeast and sugar.
Let sit for 5 minutes, until foamy.
Add 3 c. flour, oil and salt and mix with dough hook until dough forms
(or if mixing by hand, with a spoon).
Add flour, 1/2 c. at a time,
kneading at low speed until a smooth elastic dough forms,
about 5 minutes, in mixer
(or if kneading by hand, turn onto floured surface
and knead until smooth and elastic).
Place in a greased bowl, turning once.
Cover and let rise at least one hour, until doubled.
Punch down and cut dough in half.
With each piece, roll out a rectangle 15 inches long.
Roll up from long side and pinch edges to seal.
Repeat with other piece of dough.
Place on greased baking sheets.
Slash several cuts into top.
Mix egg white and water and brush tops.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Cover with greased plastic wrap for 30-50 minutes.
Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until deep golden brown.
Cool on a rack.

.




No comments: