Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Sweet Potato Pancakes


Last night I was a rock star at the dinner table. At least to my kids. For once, in a long time, everyone loved dinner. They m
mmd and mmmd and ate more. What more can a mother ask for? The great thing is -- it was a easy supper.

The scheduled kielbasa actually turned in andouille, which I got on sale, because my kids enjoy andouille ten times more than kielbasa. Doug grilled it. And the Sweet Potato Pancakes were a huge hit. Huge. We eat potato pancakes occasionally around here. They like them. But they usually eat two and then they're done. Not so with the sweet potato pancakes. They ate until they were gone. I think Anthony ate six. I lost count. They were sweet and salty -- a yummy combination. The kids said they tasted like sweet french fries, and a few kids did use ketchup. Oh well, add lycopene to the list of nutritional benefits the dish provided. I like adding the sweet potatoes to the pancakes because sweet potatoes are more nutritious than plain white.

If you have a food processor, they are very easy to make. I used the recipe I linked to on my menu as a basis, but I really ended up winging it (I pretty much followed the recipe I always use for potato pancakes, which I know by heart).

Peach was the only kid who was lukewarm about them, but she was busy scarfing up cole slaw, one of her favorites, so I didn't take it personally.

Sweet Potato Pancakes

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
3 med-small white potatoes, peeled
2 large eggs
4 T. flour
oil for frying*
salt and pepper to taste

Shredded potatoes on large-hole shredded (I used the Cuisinart M blade).**
In a large bowl, place potatoes, eggs and flour.
Stir with a fork until mixed well.
Heat oil in a non-stick skillet.
Using a spoon, scoop several tablespoons of potato mixture onto hot skillet
and flatten lightly with spatula.
Repeat until skillet is full (leaving space between pancakes).
Cook for 4 to 6 minutes per side, until pancakes begin to brown.
Remove to paper towels to drain.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Serve hot (you can place them in a 200 degree oven until all pancakes are done
if you want to serve all of them at the same time).


*I used corn oil because of
Michael's nickel-free diet, but you can use any oil. If you use extra virgin olive oil, you might want to mix it with a little vegetable oil to keep it from burning.

** If you are shredding by hand instead of by machine,
place shredded potatoes in a bowl of water as you shred them.
When you are finished shredding, drain and squeeze the water out with paper towels.
This will prevent the potatoes from browning while you shred.

.

1 comment:

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

They were a hit in our house tonight! We served them with ham steaks and fresh fruit. Thanks for the recipe!