Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Pumpkin Harvest Bread




This is hands-down the best pumpkin bread ever -- if you like "chunks." Most adults don't have texture issues like kids do, but if you do, you won't like this one. It's really chunky.

The recipe came from my college roommate and I love it. I don't make it very often, because it has walnuts in it. Because of Noah
's allergies I just don't buy nuts. But, in the fall, I just can't not buy them. So many fall foods cry out for nuts. Since this recipe has apples, nuts, and cranraisins, my kids wouldn't touch it, except Faith. So I have no fear of accidental ingestion.

I'm planning to make a loaf Sunday or Monday, so I'll post a picture later.

Pumpkin Harvest Bread

3½ cups flour
1 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
½ t. baking powder
¾ cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
16 oz. can pumpkin (2 cups)
1 cup chopped cranraisins
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tart apple, chopped*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and powder.
In separate bowl, cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs, one at a time.
Add pumpkin alternately with flour mixture.
Stir in cranraisins, walnuts and apples.
Pour batter into two greased loaf pans.
Bake for 60-65 minutes or until done.

*If I'm feeling lazy, I substitute raisins for the chopped apple.
And if I'm not in the mood for raisins or apple chunks, I shred the apple and it cooks down softly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dad will absolutely adore this; I like to take him something sweet at least once a week, and this has all of his favorite things (except mincemeat) in it. I'll definitely go for the apples. It sounds delicious, and he'll love it as long as I don't tell him the recipe is from a Buckeye fan. :)

Barbara said...

Oh no! Don't tell him that, especially since the college roommate was my rommate at Ohio State!