Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Potato Chip Cookie


Cheryl posted a recipe for these cookies at her place a couple weeks ago, and being the baking zealot that I am, I knew I'd have to try them. I'm not certain what I was expecting -- maybe I had no expectations. Actually, I was thinking of a salty chocolate chip cookie. But, they are not. They are in a league of their own. Not salty -- at least not obviously. They do not taste like a chocolate chip cookie dough -- probably because of the lack of brown sugar. They are crunchy, and chewy, and buttery, and sweet. They are yummy. My first two sheets out of the oven were crunchewy -- perfect. The second two dozen were a little too crunchy -- I like the little bit of chew. So, I'm guessing I need closer to 12 or 13 minutes -- but, you know your oven best (and what you like).

One note: I had a really hard time figuring out what 8 oz. of crushed potato chips were. My bag was 11.5 oz -- which was a lot of potato chips. Did 8 oz. mean a measuring cup or by weight? Well, I ended up using about half a bag, which was more than 1 c. and less than 8 oz. I imagine you could use more than half a bag, but my cookies were so good, I'd do the same thing next time.

Potato Chip Cookies

2-1/2 cups of flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder

2 eggs
2 sticks butter, softened

2-1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

8 ounces crushed ruffle potato chips


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar well - add eggs, 1 at a time.
Beat well. Add vanilla. In small bowl combine flour with baking soda and powder.
Do not sift this dry mixture. Add flour gradually to butter sugar mixture.
Stir in crushed chips with spoon.
Drop onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
Recipe makes 4 1/2 dozen cookies.
.

No comments: