Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Monday, August 27, 2007

My daddy used to say...

.

"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you." I love that saying.

Today the bear got me -- in the kitchen. I can honestly say that almost never happens. If I believed in bad karma I would say it was that.

The Crock Pot Enchilada Casserole from Saving Dinners burned. It burned
in my Crock Pot. As I was putting it all in, I thought, "Hmmm, there's really not much liquid in this dish." Well, I should have listened to myself. I'm really baffled as to how that recipe got in a cookbook. Well, as I said at my Crock Pot Festival, slow cookers cook hotter today than they used to. Hot enough to burn. I had to take it out of the Crock Pot after three hours. And the edges were charred. I hate to think what would have happened had I left the house for six hours. Eeewwwww!

The Southwestern Slaw was
way too spicy. And I cut the cayenne in half. I don't know how that recipe got four stars. I give it two at the most.

And the Toll House Cookies -- well, someone tell me how any mother in the United States of America can be out of chocolate chips. Well, I was. Today. So, I used cinnamon chips, and while the cookies were tasty, the texture was off. Maybe you just need those
ooey, gooey chocolate chips to make it right. Obviously it was something.

I'm not sure why I'm sharing all this. I did say I'd let you know what I thought of the Crock Pot Casserole. I guess I'm saying that we all have our days. Like I said, "Sometimes you get the bear...."

.

3 comments:

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Well, we had supper sans Papa this evening and I'll admit, I got a bit...creative.

After we had finished our meal of scrambled eggs, cheesy quesadilla and corn, my son remarked, "It was kind of like a monastery meal tonight-- right, Mom?

No bear that got me. Just no daddy to inspire me. :)

PS. I like the Saving Dinner cookbook, but not every recipe has made a hit.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

My cyber-pals at Familycorner.com refer to this as a visit from The Bad Dinner Fairy. It's happened to all of us!
I know it's bad when my teenage son (AKA the Human Garbage Disposal) says, "You're not making this again, are you?" At that point it's time to toss the recipe.
Hope the next day's dinners are better.

Dea said...

Hi Barbara - still catching up, so sorry for the delayed comment. Just to let you know I have days like this more often than I care to think about! Was making a quiche for guests today and went through three crusts before I got it to blind bake right and even then the sides sunk and the custard overflowed! *SIGH*

Love your Dad's saying too!