Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Chicken Salad with Dill and Pecans

Chicken salad and quick bread are one of my most favorite meals. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. And if I find it on a menu anywhere, it's almost always what I order.

But, of course, my own is my favorite. This recipe for chicken salad is made like the recipe from a restaurant we used to love. They closed locally, so my kitchen is the only place I can get it. It is a simple salad, flavored with onions, dill, salt and pepper. And the toasted pecans give it a wonderful crunch. This recipe is very flexible, though. If you like celery, add some. If you like grapes in your chicken salad, add grapes. And if you're feeding someone allergic to tree nuts, use sunflower or pumpkin seeds instead of pecans.

Paired with some quick bread, it's a wonderful meal. My Lemon Poppy Seed recipe follows.


Chicken Salad with Dill and Pecans
(serves 2 - 4 for lunch)

3 cups diced cooked chicken (just cook a little extra with your dinner)
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/2 t. dried dill
1 cup mayonnaise (more or less to taste)
1/2 c. chopped pecans, toasted and cooled
salt and pepper to taste

In a mixing bowl, toss together the chicken, celery, onions, dill, and pecans. Add mayonnaise and stir gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Taste again and adjust seasoning if necessary.

.

No comments: