Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Delicious Double Chocolate Muffins




Charlotte at Waltzing Matilda posted a picture of some chocolate muffins last week and I must have been hormonal, or something, because I wanted chocolate muffins now! I held off for a couple days, but they were on my mind a lot!

I made breakfast for dinner on Monday, and chocolate muffins were on the menu. They were so good. I mean really, really good. I am not sure I have ever made a double chocolate muffin before, but these could not have been better. They were definitely muffins, not cupcakes, but so chocolatey!

You need to make some soon. Seriously.

I used the recipe as found at Dinner with Julie, and the only change I made was to use coconut oil instead of canola oil or butter. I melted it before I added it. It added a definite coconut flavor, so if you don't like that flavor, use a less flavorful oil. I loved it!

I think I will fool around with a recipe a bit and try some flour blends for more nutrition, and sub out some yogurt for some oil. I'll let you know if I do. Here is the recipe as written. Do try!




Part of a healthy breakfast dinner (scrambled eggs and tomatoes, apple slices, sausage, and muffins!) 




Double Chocolate Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup canola oil or butter, melted (or coconut oil, melted)
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips



Preheat the oven to 375°F.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt.

In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, eggs and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips and stir just until well blended.

Divide batter among a dozen paper-lined muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until domed and springy to the touch.





1 comment:

Pam Barnhill said...

The last double chocolate recipe I tried was a flop. Going to have to give these a go!